FIELDWORK ARCHAEOLOGIST/ ARCHAEOLOGICAL TECHNICIAN
Technician £21,875 - £23,533 Plus London Weighting at £898
London and Southeast (Meopham, Kent)
Wessex Archaeology is one of the UK’s largest and most comprehensive heritage service providers, and a market leader in the provision of fieldwork archaeological services in the UK.
We are looking to recruit fieldwork technicians to join our Meopham, Kent-based team for work on a range of projects in the Southeast England. We have an extremely exciting programme planned throughout 2022 and beyond and we are confident that we can offer you a challenging and rewarding role with excellent scope for career progression.
All contracts offered are on a permanent contract basis, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all sections of the community and are committed to promoting equality of opportunity.
You will be joining an inclusive, supportive, busy and growing team where you will have an opportunity to develop your fieldwork excavation and technical skills, your commercial awareness and your people skills. We support peer to peer learning and commit to providing you with a development review during the initial term of the contract and regularly thereafter.
This post may suit those starting out on their career in commercial archaeology and less experienced archaeologists. Those within the role provide support on a variety of infrastructure projects from evaluations to excavation, full support and skills development will be provided for those employed at this grade. We would consider applications from those with no experience and no formal archaeological qualifications, who would qualify at our entry level archaeologist.
Essential skills for all successful applicants will be:
- To have a valid CSCS card – we can provide help and advice on obtaining these;
- To have the ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions; and
- Able to manage their own time and work to deadlines.
Highly desirable attributes will include:
- A full clean Driving Licence;
- SMSTS/SSSTS or other H&S qualifications;
- Valid First Aid at Work, CAT & Genny and Plant Marshalling (banksmen) certification; and
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists or another appropriate professional body.
Whilst having a good degree in archaeology or a related subject will certainly be of benefit, at Wessex Archaeology we also recognise that there are many very capable archaeologists both within our Company, and across the sector as a whole, who do not have university qualifications. We will therefore welcome applications from all who wish to join our fieldwork team, graduates and non-graduates alike.
What we offer:
In addition to our highly competitive salaries, we are also able to offer a host of additional benefits to working for Wessex, not least including:
- Pension and life assurance schemes;
- 30 days (including bank holidays) annual leave increasing with seniority of post and length of service;
- Starter excavation hand tool kits for early career technicians and full PPE;
- A Company Employee Assistant Programme – confidential external advice on health and wellbeing;
- Staff discounts for local businesses; and
- Bike2work scheme.
What you must do:
If you think you’re the right person for us, please submit a completed application form, which is available from the vacancies page on our website https://www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies, together with a copy of your CV and any other information that will support your application. The deadline for return of applications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org is close of business on 25th November 2022, but for the right candidates immediate offers of employment will be made. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that the successful candidate must by the start of their employment have permission to work in the UK. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.