“CIfA membership should not be regarded as a passive membership – you have to get involved if you want your profession to evolve”
Being part of CIfA allows you to take an active role in supporting and shaping the profession. We draw on the expertise and knowledge of CIfA professionals in all our work. The best way to influence is to get involved.
In CIfA you are part of an active community which promotes high professional standards and strong ethics in archaeological practice, and which tries to make archaeology beneficial to all.
- Connect with our Area and Special Interest Groups to shape policy and practice in your specialism or geographical area, and stay up to date.
- Assist the Registered Organisation Scheme by joining an inspection panel.
- Join the committees that accredit individuals and organisations and be part of our peer review and self-regulation process.
- Get elected to Advisory Council and guide future policy and priorities, or to the Board of Directors to lead the Chartered Institute.
Find out more about the different committees and how to get involved on our FAQs page (PDF).
Give something back
Being part of a professional body is not just about products, discounts and services. It is a way to demonstrate your commitment to your work, to improving yourself and your profession, and to giving the public the best from archaeology.
There are many benefits of being part of CIfA, but the biggest is seeing the effect you can have on your profession. The more people who support us, the stronger the profession becomes, and the more impact we have. It helps us:
- improve the quality of archaeology through standards and training;
- be the authoritative and effective voice influencing policy and decision makers;
- gain recognition, respect and reward for professional archaeologists.
Celebrating our volunteers during Volunteering Week (1 to 7 June)
We want to give a big shout out and thanks to our amazing cohort of volunteers, without which so much of our work just would not take place.
Did you know that in 2022, over 230 people volunteered with CIfA by contributing their time and expertise through our 21 Area and Special Interest Groups, our Advisory Council, our Board of Directors, the Validation committee, the Registrations committee, consultation advisors and our CPD workshops. Our volunteers extend the reach and scope of our work, they ensure CIfA activities take place throughout the UK, and they help us make the right decisions as to the future direction of the Institute.