CIfA2023 Sustainable futures – standards, skills and the profession
19 – 21 April 2023
Crowne Plaza Nottingham Hotel + online
CIfA2023 is sponsored by Towergate Insurance
CIfA is delighted to announce that the CIfA2023 conference will be hosted from Wednesday, 19 April - Friday, 21 April 2023.
We intend to host CIfA2023 as a livestreamed conference, hosted live in Nottingham UK and streamed online. We hope this will offer attendees the same flexibility they experienced in 2022, but learn from our experiences to allow for the best digital user experience.
CIfA2023 will incorporate keynote addresses, wide-ranging sessions and training workshops in a live and virtual forum. Across the conference, we will discuss current professional issues, showcase new developments, and present research in archaeology and the wider heritage sector. Our conference is the premier professional archaeological conference in the UK, attracting hundreds of participants across the heritage environment sector.
Book your place
Registration for CIfA2023 is now open!
|Book CIfA2023 Nottingham||Book CIfA2023 Online|
Bursary information and applications
Bursaries are open and accepting applications. We have a number of bursary options available to assist with the cost of registering or attending CIfA2023, providing places for over 20 attendees. To find out more about the bursaries that are available as well as how to apply, please see further details on our CIfA2023 bursary page.
Sponsorship & exhibitor applications
We are now accepting bookings for sponsors and exhibitors within our exhibition hall. We look forward to welcoming our exhibitors back in full force to the CIfA conference.
CIfA2023 Sponsorship and Exhibitor Brochure
CIfA2023 Exhibitor Booking Form
Registration fees and deadlines
Live in Nottingham
(until 19 March)
(from 20 March)
(until 19 March)
(from 20 March)
|CIfA member full conference||£230||£240||£100||£110|
|CIfA member day||£100||£110||£40||£45|
|Student/unwaged full conference||£100||£50|
|Non-member full conference||£360||£380||£200||£210|
There are over 20 bursary places available. For further information and applications, please visit the 2023 bursary page.
|Wednesday 19 April||Thursday 20 April||Friday 21 April|
|10:00 Registration & refreshments||09:30 Breakout sessions||09:30 Breakout sessions|
|11:00 Welcome & opening address||11:00 Tea & coffee break||11:00 Tea & coffee break|
|13:00 Lunch||11:30 Breakout sessions (con't)||11:30 Breakout sessions|
|14:00 Breakout sessions||13:00 Lunch||13:00 Lunch|
|15:30 Tea & coffee break||14:00 Breakout sessions||14:00 Closing session|
|16:00 Breakout session (con't)||15:30 Tea & coffee break||16:00 Depart|
|18:00 Wine reception & dinner social||16:00 Breakout sessions (con't)|
|19:00 Optional evening activities|
CIfA has been working in collaboration with Meet in Nottingham to provide a conference accomodation booking link, please find our dedicated page here. This is by no means an exhaustive list of accomomdation available, but rather includes some special rates negotiated for us by the team in Nottingham. Rooms are available fron £79 to £115 per person per night, but these rates are limited, so book your place early!
Additionally, Nottingham has a range of small aparthotels, hostels, and other variably priced accommodation available.
COVID-19 safe systems
Terms and conditions for attending the live conference require all conference attendees to align with CIfA's COVID-19 safe systems of work for members, volunteers, and staff. Should these be updated prior to conference, we will udpate all attendees.
- Do not attend a CIfA-hosted meeting or meet with CIfA colleagues if you have symptoms consistent with Covid. The symptoms are continuing to change: see latest symptoms.
- You must have a negative lateral flow test, ideally just before travelling to the conference, or at minimum, the night before.
- You need not wear a mask if all others present agree. Do not pressure or feel pressured to agree.
- If you have been told you should not wear a mask for prolonged periods of time, e.g. you are/were medically exempt, then notify firstname.lastname@example.org at the time of registration.
- Be sympathetic to requests to keep distance or increase ventilation.
- Use the hand-sanitising products provided.
Please see our conference FAQs for further information; this page will be updated as the conference approaches. If you have any additional questions or would like any more information on CIfA2023, please don’t hesitate to contact our team on: email@example.com Keep up to date with the latest conference news via our eBulletin and on social media: #CIfA2023.
Our annual conference has been held since CIfA formed in 1982. A list of recent conferences is shown below with links to the conference programme or (for more recent events) the conference webpages.
- 2022 - Hybrid Online & Bath - Making a difference: the value of archaeology
- 2021 - Online - Promoting the profession
- 2020 - Cancelled due to COVID-19
- 2019 - Leeds - Archaeology: values, benefits and legacies
- 2018 - Brighton - Pulling together: collaboration, synthesis, innovation
- 2017 - Newcastle - Archaeology: a global profession
- 2016 - Leicester - Archaeology in Context
- 2015 - Cardiff - The future of your profession
- 2014 - Glasgow - Research in Practice
- 2013 - Birmingham - Making Waves
- 2012 - Oxford - Working in Partnership
- 2011 - Reading - Understanding Significance
CIfA is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, nationality, education, experience, career or speciality. By registering to attend CIfA you confirm you have read our CIfA online conference harassment page and understand that any form of harassment, discrimination and bullying is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
CIfA aims to be as accessible and inclusive as possible and further information on online conference accessibility can be found here. If you have any requests or suggestions for how we can make the conference more accessible for you, please do get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.